Time in the Markets, Not Timing the Markets
Investor Insights, February 16th, 2018
Five Things You Should Know
- Equity Markets – were up big this week with the S&P 500 up 4.46% and international stocks (EAFE) up 4.11%
- Fixed Income Markets – were also up with high-quality bonds (AGG) up 0.04%, and high-yield bonds (JNK) up 1.79%.
- Earnings Scorecard – earnings season continues to be strong with S&P 500 corporate earnings growing by nearly 15%, alongside revenue growth of approximately 8%. On top of that good news, earnings estimates are being revised upward which is a historical rarity.
- The Rebound – after two significant drops last week which resulted in a technical correction (a drop of 10%+), equities markets have now posted six consecutive days of gains totaling almost 8%. After a decline that reached almost 12% in the S&P 500, the market is only down a little over 4% from its previous high.
- Key Insight – Last week served as a good reminder of the challenges and trying times that come with being an investor. Success is far more a result of time in the markets, as opposed to timing of the markets—achieving that “time” requires a plan that includes a well-defined “why”, liquidity roadmap and knowledgeable partner to facilitate the process.
Special Message: Our hearts break for, and prayers go out to, the families and loved ones affected by the tragedy this week in Florida. Such events certainly put much into perspective. Sincerely, the team at TEN
To read the full article, click below!