The Danger of Planning for Average [VIDEO]
Investor Insights, March 23rd, 2018
Five Things You Should Know
- Equity Markets – dropped this week with U.S. stocks (S&P 500) down -5.90% and international stocks (EAFE) down -3.60%
- Fixed Income Markets – were also down with investment grade bonds (AGG) down -0.08% and high yield bonds (JNK) down -0.97%
- Tariffs Take Effect – the announced tariffs on imported steel (25%) and aluminum (10%) took effect today. While Canada and Mexico are already exempt, others could soon be added to the exempt list (including the E.U.) as well if they are able to show they are trading fairly. Also U.S. “users” can seek exclusions but that will take up to 90 days. China’s Premier Li Keqiang also sought to quell worries of a trade war, stating “there’s no winner in a trade war.”
- Federal Meeting – New Chairman Jerome Powell held his first news conference this week, and by most accounts did a nice job by sticking to the facts. While the Fed did raise its rate 0.25%, his comment that he has “no sense that inflation is about to accelerate” allayed the market’s concerns that the Fed would raise rates too quickly.
- Key Insight – One area where wealth managers need bring value to their clients is helping them prepare both their plans and portfolios for life's unexpected events to ensure they are both emotionally and financially prepared.
To read the full article/watch the video, click below!